Friday, January 11, 2008

Are you green?

I remember back in middle school when "are you green?" was a question completely unrelated to the environment. Now, although in a completely different context, you should still always answer yes, even if you're not; and do your damn best to get there.

I do what I can to try and make my 27 year old carbon footprint not as big on the planet. Try to throw some sand over it and cover my tracks. There's things I try to do, and although they don't always seem to work out as well as I'd like to, or at least how I've envisioned them in my head, I make a conscious effort to rehabilitate my lifestyle to conform to a more ecologically-friendly state of mind.

I quit smoking, which in cigarette butt-value alone is a great deal. I try to focus on more sustainable eating by purchasing more organically grown/bred, free range products. I have done my best to cut back on my bottled water drinking and try to drink out of a water fountain and get the reusable gallons for the cooler at home.



The recycling part, I need to get a little better at, although at work I do use my recling bin regularly and try to print as little as possible (even if my department specializes in tree killing). As far as my living environment, until I get out of living in an apartment and get a place of my own, there's not really much I can do to control what goes in and out of the aprtment short of using more efficient light bulbs and making sure lights are turned off in unecessary places.

I have seen a number of greenification projects sprout up in the area, which make me excited. Especially with all the recent talk of our apocalyptic demise as a planet.



For the past few years, I've been making a conscious effort to be a bit of a minimalist at home. I try no to have things just for the sake of having them. I hate clutter (although judging by a mid-week bedroom of mine, you'd be unable to tell), I hate bunches of paper, books, magazines, furniture. Things that need not be there, need not be there. I think it makes for a crisper, fresher, more spacious and organized environment. There's nothing wrong with interior decor, hell, I'll be the first one to sign up for some sweet home accessorizing, but again, until I have that space of mine own...

In any event, after a bit of background on this and tad long-winded intro, I leave you with some of the sweetest and eco-friendly accesories I would probably have in said living space. (Take notes, for once the house warming happens, you know what to bring)


[Kursi]


[Bel Air]


[Vitamin Living]


[Rolf Benz]


I'll let you browse through these websites, while I go change my pants.

This would appear to be one of those ranty entries, but I think I stated my point.
I will try to keep up with my sustainable living progess. No longer a product of my environment. My environment, soon to be, a prodcut of me.