Thursday, February 28, 2008

Getting Fit is the Hardest Part

In my never-ending struggle to fend off fatness consistently perpetuated by my lack of activity (office job) and my eating habits (birthday cake!!), I try to stay on top of what it is I need to do to keep the weight off. And it's a challenge. Reading about the right steps to take is the easy part. Putting those steps in motion and incorporating them into my lifestyle is most definitely a difficult task.

Diethack had a great write up today on some people also struggling with this, but nevertheless maintaining their goals. In 2006 I achieved the ultimate. I dropped 60 lbs., that I had been dragging around for quite some time, right off on the curb. By way of being cautious of what I was eating, constantly conscious of my intake, and hard time at the gym. Towards the end of 2007 I started slacking on all this due to several factors. Mostly BS excuses that somewhat justify everything in my head.

There are some steps I had been taking on Diethack's entry, and I plan on getting back on top of them beginning today.

  • Eat a good breakfast. [I can't function without it and thankfully I do this every day]
  • Eat smaller portions. [This is a tricky one. I'm a big boy]
  • Choose the healthier foods. [Since I've fallen back into the bad habits of empty simple carbs, getting back off this train will prove a challenge]
  • Drink lots of water. [Another one I need to do better at]
  • Enjoy healthy snacks. [I'm not much of a snack person, but those random ice cream OD attacks will have to be stopped]
  • Skip dessert. [I don't usually have dessert, so this is almost a non-issue]
  • Exercise three times a week. [I'm on it, boss!]
  • Get physically active in small ways. [This was a lot easier when I had the second job, I need to find more stuff to keep me off of the couch]
  • Join an online support community. [Eh. I think I'll pass on this one]
  • Find inspiration. [Trust me. Every time I try something on and it doesn't fit, it inspires me by fear-of-fatness-induction]